When you expect a baby there are so many things you have to take into consideration. For example the doctor will present you the possibility to store the blood from the umbilical cord. You might ask yourself why you should do it, because the majority of people throw it away at birth. Well, it has numerous benefits, and you should not ignore it. If you want to store the blood, then you will have to give birth in a hospital because there have to be specialists present to handle the procedure. Before making this decision you should educate yourself, because it is important to know all the details about the process. You should know that many expectant parents opt for cord blood storage because it contains cells that can be transformed into human cells. Parents want to make sure that if their baby deals with medical issues in the future they can them as a treatment.
What are the pros of blood banking?
If you want to find more about this procedure there are studies that list the cord blood banking pros and cons. The first thing you should know is that doctors do not collect the blood from the cord itself, but from the area around it. Because it contains stem cells later it can be used to grow tissues, blood vessels and even organs. You can use it to treat your children in the future if they suffer from anemia, immune diseases, and leukemia.
- So if it were to think about the pros of using cord blood, the main one would be that it can be used as an alternative to bone marrow transplantation. It has the power to rebuild your child’s immune system.
- You do not have to worry that you or the baby will feel pain during the procedure, because it is painless. Also doctors consider it a simple procedure compared with the other ones that imply collecting stem cells.
- You will always have access to the cord blood because it will be stored in a private blood bank. Only your family has access to it and it cannot be used by other people.
What are the cons of cord blood banking?
- When it comes to the cons of this procedure, the main one people have in view is the price It is not considered a cheap one, but if you pay attention to the benefits, you will understand that it is totally worth.
- Doctors recommend this procedure to the families that have a history in blood or immune disorders, but this does not mean that you cannot use it if you do not have knowledge of similar cases in your family.
- If you opt for a public cord blood bank then you should know that you will pay no fee for storing it. But if anyone in the world needs it, they will offer it. You are sure that only you have access to it, if you store it in a private bank.